Can anything good come out of prison? We are counting on that very thing. We believe that God will raise up an army of trained leaders who will work to rebuild America’s under-served and under-resourced communities.
I had the privilege of attending my first graduation ceremony of The Urban Ministry Institute (TUMI) inside a federal prison this month. I have been to many graduations in the past, but none compared to or prepared me for this one. It was a joy to watch twelve men graduate, listen to their testimonies, stories, hopes, and dreams for the future. Though no photos were allowed we were able to gather quotes from many of the graduates:
- “TUMI has shown me the many ministry possibilities; and through my obedience in Christ, I can help build the Lord’s Kingdom. I now know my calling and how God can use my scars to minister to the hurting and lost.”
- “TUMI was a helpful guide that brought an awareness and structure to my daily scripture reading, and how to bring the Word of eternal life to others”
- “TUMI has changed my life.”
- “I am confident that God will put to good use the many skills and the vast body of training TUMI provided. Thank you all and God bless you in the continued efforts with TUMI.”
- “I plan to follow God’s lead in whatever ministry opportunities He brings as I prepare to re-enter society. What that mean exactly, I don’t know yet.”
- “I highly recommend the TUMI program for anyone who cherishes the Lord and has a strong desire to provide the wisdom of God’s Word to the lost and broken…”
- “TUMI has shown me my purpose in Jesus Christ.”
You can read Philip Yancey’s account of the same graduation on his website. As always, we thank you for your prayerful and financial support. Together we can transform communities.